Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Backup your backups!

Did you know that on average, only 7% of computer users make daily backups*? I'm afraid that until today, we fell in with the other 93%! Now don't freak out- we have a solid backup plan in place, but I was certain I wanted more!

Before today we backed up all files (personal & business) to an external hard-drive. We then backed up all business files to disc, in their original format. Additionally, we back up the business edits to disc, and they are uploaded to galleries on our website. Even private photos end up on the website, via private galleries, with password protection.

As you can see, it makes for a bit of work... and if Sam is doing the backups, a bit of mess!

After seeing several photographers whom I follow post warnings via their blogs or Facebook pages, I came to realize that what we were doing just wasn't enough for me to sleep at night! Nightmares of hard-drives crashing, discs melting, houses burning down were enough for me to say ENOUGH! So as of today we started doing a daily backup sweep that stores our information & files online. I've done through research and not only is this secure, but according to other photographers, this is the best (and easiest) way to backup photos.

Since I'm old-school, and always will be a little, I'm still doing the backups to our hard-drive, and burning the original & edited files to disc, but I love the peace of mind I just bought! And I hope you do too! ~Naomi

*Backblaze Survey Info

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments, so feel free to leave them! (Just be nice!)

Please note to pass the captcha you will need to enter both letters and numbers!