Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Melon Boat!

So, before you read any further, you must know this about me- I don't do anything half-hearted. (I mean, especially when it comes to photography, but also in the other jobs I've been given in this life.) One of my part-time jobs is working in the produce department of a grocery store, designing fruit & vegetable trays. I really love my job, even though it is sometimes physically taxing for me. Last week a lady called me & asked me to create a watermelon boat for her. I'd never done one before, and I wanted to be certain I did it right:

First, I had to pick a good melon, which isn't always easy-

Next, I carved my basic design, a picnic basket-

This next step, scooping out all the melon, was the most time consuming-

As you can see, also quite messy-

After that, I got to use a rather sinister looking tool to create the "spikeys"-

Which I'll admit, was pretty fun-

After the melon was done I made my fruit salad in layers, to prevent bruising-

Filled the basket, and we're done-


The customer was so delighted with her finished product she actually gave me hug!! Now that is a reward for a job well done!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments, so feel free to leave them! (Just be nice!)

Please note to pass the captcha you will need to enter both letters and numbers!